The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), a part of the Commerce Ministry announced the ranking of states and union territories (UTC) on the basis of measures being taken by them to promote startups, on December 20.
- The rankings were granted on the basis of the environment states have created for startups.
- Moreover, the rankings were according to the steps taken by the states and UTs to create a conducive environment for startups and promote entrepreneurs.
- Gujarat grabbed the first rank in the list of states for startups in India.
- Karnataka, Kerala, Odisha and Rajasthan were ranked as the other top performers.
Data regarding the startups across the nation:
1. As per the exploration by the DIPP, 14,565 startups were registered during the year across the country, which offers services in various sectors like IT, technology hardware, healthcare, agriculture, education, food and renewable energy.
2. Gujarat has allocated a Rs 100 crore budget for startups and provided assistance to at least200 projects.
3. Maharashtra has recorded the largest number of startups i.e. 2,787 followed by Karnataka (2,107), Delhi (1,949), Uttar Pradesh (1,201), Haryana (765) and Gujarat (764).
About Startup India:
Startup India is a flagship initiative of the government of India, intended to build a strong ecosystem that is conducive for the growth of startup businesses, to drive sustainable economic growth and generate large scale employment opportunities. The government through this initiative aims to empower startups to grow through innovation and design.
Several programs have been undertaken since the launch of the initiative on January 16, 2016, by the Prime Minister, to contribute to his vision of transforming India into a country of job creators instead of job seekers.